Phase Properties Applet should display momentarily in its own popup window.
Please be patient. Loading the applet and constructing the GUI may take a while. If you close the applet window and want to run the applet again, just reload this page in your browser.
- What does this applet do?
- Source code and technical documentation
- References for phase properties
- The applet will not display! What is wrong?
This applet accesses the "phase properties" CORBA server at OFM Research Inc. It allows the user to select a phase, optionally input its composition, convert between practical and thermodynamic components, and calculate thermodynamic properties of the phase as a function of temperature and pressure.
Version 3.0 - uploaded August 13, 2007
Documentation on the use of the applet is accessed from the help button on the user interface. Documentation on coding the client is located on the documentation page. Software for this client may be downloaded from the software page.
Thermodynamic properties of phases are calculate from the following published models:
- Berman RG (1988) Internally-consistent thermodynamic data for minerals in the system Na2O-K2O-CaO-MgO-FeO-Fe2O3-Al2O3-SiO2-TiO2-H2O-CO2, Journal of Petrology 29, 445-522
- Chase MW Jr (1998) NIST-JANAF Thermochemical Tables, Fourth edition. Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data, Monograph 9, two volumes, 1952pp.
- Evans BW, Ghiorso MS (1995) Thermodynamics and Petrology of Cummingtonite. Amer Mineral 80, 649-663
- Evans BW, Ghiorso MS, Kuehner SM (2000) Thermodynamic properties of tremolite: a correction and some comments. American Mineralogist 85 466-472
- Evans BW, Ghiorso MS, Yang H, Medenbach O (2001) Thermodynamics of the amphiboles: Anthophyllite-ferroanthophyllite and the ortho-clino phase loop. American Mineralogist 86, 640-651
- Ghiorso MS (1997) Thermodynamic analyses of the effect of magnetic ordering on miscibility gaps in the Fe-Ti cubic and rhombohedral oxide minerals and the Fe-Ti oxide geothermometer. Physics and Chem Minerals 25, 28-38
- Ghiorso MS, Evans BW (2002) Thermodynamics of the Amphiboles: Ca-Mg-Fe2+ quadrilateral. American Mineralogist 87, 79-98
- Ghiorso MS, Evans BW, Hirschmann MM, Yang H (1995) Thermodynamics of the Amphiboles: I. (Fe2+,Mg) Cummingtonite Solid Solutions. Amer Mineral 80, 502-519
- Ghiorso MS, Yang H., Hazen RM (1999) Thermodynamics of cation ordering in Karrooite (MgTi2O5). American Mineralogist 84, 1370-1374
- Ghiorso, MS (1990) Thermodynamic properties of hematite-ilmenite-geikielite solid solutions. Contrib Mineral Petrol 104, 645-667
- Ghiorso, MS, Sack, RO (1991) Fe-Ti oxide geothermometry: Thermodynamic formulation and the estimation of intensive variables in silicic magmas. Contrib Mineral Petrol 108, 485-510
- Ghiorso MS, Sack RO (1995) Chemical Mass Transfer in Magmatic Processes IV. A revised and internally consistent thermodynamic model for the interpolation and extrapolation of liquid-solid equilibria in magmatic systems at elevated temperatures and pressures. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 119, 197-212.
- Robie RA, Hemingway BS (1995) Thermodynamic Properties of Minerals and Related Substances at 298.15 K and 1 Bar (105 Pascals) Pressure and at Higher Temperatures. U. S. Geological Survey Bulletin 2131, 461pp.
- Sack RO, Ghiorso MS (1989) Importance of considerations of mixing properties in establishing an internally consistent database: Thermochemistry of minerals in the system Mg2SiO4-Fe2SiO4-SiO2. Contrib Mineral Petrol 102, 41-68
- Sack RO, Ghiorso MS (1994) Thermodynamics of multicomponent pyroxenes: I. Formulation of a general model. Contrib Mineral Petrol 116, 277-286
- Sack RO, Ghiorso MS (1994) Thermodynamics of multicomponent pyroxenes: II. Phase relations in the quadrilateral. Contrib Mineral Petrol 116, 287-300
- Sack RO, Ghiorso MS (1994) Thermodynamics of multicomponent pyroxenes: III. Calibration of Fe2+(Mg)-1, TiAl(MgSi)-1, TiFe3+(MgSi)-1, AlFe3+(MgSi)-1, NaAl(CaMg)-1, Al2(MgSi)-1 and Ca(Mg)-1 exchange reactions between pyroxenes and silicate melts. Contrib Mineral Petrol 118, 271-296
- Sack RO, Ghiorso MS (1998) Thermodynamics of feldspathoid solutions. Contrib Mineral Petrology 130, 256-274
- Sack, RO, Ghiorso, MS (1991) An internally consistent model for the thermodynamic properties of Fe-Mg-titanomagnetite-aluminate spinels. Contrib Mineral Petrol 106, 474-505
- Sack, RO, Ghiorso, MS (1991) Chromian spinels as petrogenetic indicators: thermodynamics and petrological applications. Am Mineral 76, 827-847
Addition documentation is provided at this link.
The Phase Properties applet is written in Java 1.4.2 and utilizes the Swing widget set for its graphical user interface. For the applet to function in a web browser, the browser must have a Java run-time environment (JRE) installed that supports these features.
This applet is known to work on Mac OS X operating systems (vr. 10.4, Tiger) with the Safari (vr. 2.0.3) browser and with the Mozilla FireFox browser (vr. 1.5). It will not function with the Internet Explorer (IE) browser (vr. 1.5.2) or with the Netscape browser (vr. 7.2) under Mac OS X. If you are using Internet Explorer, note that Microsoft recommends switching to Safari as they no longer support IE on the Macintosh platform.
Under Windows and Linux, you will have to update the JRE for Internet Explorer and perhaps for Netscape and Mozilla. There is an excellent web page that provides instructions on how to do this and also a means of testing which version of the JRE is installed in your browser at JavaTester.org.